“SMI’s leadership team continues to expand the business in innovative directions”
In our farming community, the mention of hydraulics, welding and metal fabrication is nothing new. But have those terms ever made you think of FOOTBALL?! For the 40+ dedicated staff at SMI & Hydraulics, it sure does. In their Porter, MN, office entry you’ll see a picture of the transporter system for Astro’s Field retractable roof, along with the Ornamental Train on the left field wall.
According to the Houston Astor MLB facts and figures site:
“A replica of a 19th century locomotive (circa 1860) and linked coal tender became a fast fan favorite in the inaugural season. The train provides an architectural icon which combines sight, sound and motion for a dynamic entertainment and celebration feature. It also proves a link to the past for Houston and the Union Station site. The train was designed by Uni-systems and built by SMI & Hydraulics, which also provided the transporters for the retractable roof. Weighing close to 50,000 pounds, the train runs along some 800 feet along the low roof track on the west side of the ballpark.”
Kathy Devos was kind enough to give us a tour of their amazing facility… Inside, you’ll find under-ground oil containers, wind turbin blades, cylinders of every size and much more!
While they have never strayed from their agricultural roots, SMI’s list of special accomplishments is an example of how the company has adapted and diversified by staying on top of industry innovations. By creating designs and builds specific to each customer’s needs, they have set themselves apart from national competition!
- Tail Stands for Northwest Airlines
- Bridges of all sizes
- Transporters for the retractable roof at Reliant Stadium
- Conveyor saw tables
- Heaters for off shore oil rigs
- Retractable walls for Miller Park
- Ferry Door in Manhattan, New York
- Framing for Rain Forest Cafes waterfalls
- Filter house frames and walls
- Stainless steel doors for climate test chambers
- Reliant Stadium Roof Carriers
- Wind Towers
- Utility Trailers – including mobile shower systems and suites
- Boat docks for Port of Sunnyside
- Bulkweighters – 40,000 bushels
- Retractable star roof at Rock Valley College in Rockford, IL
- Operable Maintenance platform for American Airlines
- Miscellaneous Refuse truck parts
Versatility in manufacturing cylinders includes:
- Honda Powered Power Units
- Custom Reservoir Fabrication
- Field Installation of Power Units and Components
- OEM Fabrication & Assembly of Complete Machinery and Cylinders
How did they do it? According to the SMI & Hydraulics website:
“As a company, SMI & Hydraulics, Inc. (ISO) brings years of cumulative experience within the welding, hydraulic and painting industries. The talented labor force includes hydraulics specialists that are certified fluid power technicians, welders and inspectors holding CWI certifications as designated by the AWS D1.1, Structural Welding Code, as well as painters that have earned the PPG Certification Level II. SMI’s diverse administrative staff offers the customer a complete range of estimating and quoting services, sales, purchasing, project management and quality control, in addition to in-house engineering and drafting services.”
SMI & Hydraulics, Inc core services include:
- On-Site Sand Blasting
- Indoor Painting Facility
- Shop Development, Design and Auto Cad 2002
- Honda Engine Products
- CNC Turning Center Capabilities
- Company-Owned Semi Trucks to facilitate shipment
- Custom Hydraulics Systems
How SMI & Hydraulics began:
“In 1995, SMI & Hydraulics, Inc. opened for business in Porter, Minnesota focusing primarily on welding and cylinder repair services for local farmers and businesses. Today, the SMI & Hydraulics team functions within a fully-equipped, 100,000 square foot facility. The staff takes pride in producing quality products that leave a lasting impression.
With many years of proven experience in metal fabrication, welding, hydraulic and pneumatic cylinders, SMI & Hydraulics, Inc. is committed to complete customer satisfaction through all manufacturing, assembly and painting processes.”
If you are interested in employment at SMI, visit their Careers site for postings.
MVTV Wireless is proud to serve SMI & Hydraulics, Inc.!