Now that the leaves are starting to change colors here in Minnesota, 3 things are for certain… Football, Harvest and Hunting!
Check the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (MNDNR) Hunting and Trapping site for a list of events and dates. This coming weekend is Take-a-Kid Hunting weekend! What a great opportunity to introduce our youth to the great out-doors.
In order to make this a safe and enjoyable experience, be sure to read up on the rules and regulations – http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/hunting/2016/full_regs.pdf
All successful hunters understand that hunting season starts well before opening day. By preparing now, you will save yourself time and frustration in the field. Here are a few pointers…
- Purchase your license, tag or stamp – Many wildlife departments require hunters to register in advance of the season due to limits and restrictions.
- Scout the area – Areas once open to public or private hunting may have changed since last year. Terrain can also change and throw you for a loop in the dark of early morning.
- Check and replenish gear – Inspect your weaponry and verify accuracy/sighting, check field-dressing supplies, clothing and first-aid kit. Inspect tree stand or blind to make sure it’s in good condition. Establish a checklist so you’re not caught in the field without provisions or applicable documentation.
- Get in shape – Prepare your body (and your dogs) for the demands of the hike in and out.
- SAFETY – make sure you and your youth have the proper safety education and certification. To find a class, go to http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/index.html
Send us your pictures …we would love to share!
MVTV Wireless wishes you a safe and successful 2016 hunting season!
‘Connecting Rural Minnesota’