50 Ways To Improve The Environment
So what does Earth Day mean to southwest Minnesota and what can we do to make a difference? According to the CBS Minnesota article, it can be as easy as choosing the right packaging when you’re out shopping. Here’s a few suggestions provided by a local company, Promise 50. Owner, Alison Fairbanks shares some very practice ideas that are easy to implement.
Throughout your home
1. Turn off the lights when you leave a room.
2. Always unplug power packs when an appliance is not in use. You know, those plugs with the big cubes on them? They suck energy even when the gizmo at the other end is turned off.
3. Set your thermostat to 68° F in winter and put on a big, cozy sweater.
4. Close windows and blinds to keep the house cooler in the summer and warmer in winter.
5. On hard-surface floors, sweep or use a washable microfiber mop cloth instead of vacuuming.
6. Put recycling bags wherever you recycle (in the office, in the kitchen—wherever you read the mail). Then, only touch each piece of mail once and “file” appropriately.
7. Choose pet litter in compostable packaging.
Fairbanks encourages you to ‘make a promise’.
As you read through these pages, imagine what 50% less consumption and waste might look like for your home or business. Here’s where I’m starting, but your 50 may look different.
I will consume 50% less: Of disposable goods and products designed with built-in obsolescence. Of carbon-burning activities, except when absolutely necessary. Of wants instead of needs. Of clutter that clouds my psyche as it pollutes our world.
I will waste 50% less: Of unnecessary packaging and other “instant garbage” –items designed to be used once and then tossed. Of non-compostable materials and even of recycling—which is often not recycled at all.
I will seek 50% more joy: More money and time to spend on my family and friends, on worthy work and play, on helping others and on enjoying the world around me. More satisfaction that I’m making a difference, living with integrity and leading for others who either cannot or will not. – http://promise50.com/
“walk, bike or take the bus to work (or lunch). “When we do that, we tend to shop at our local retailers.” – Alison Fairbanks
For the complete list of 50, to go http://promise50.com/50-green-ideas/
Happy Earth Day!MVTV Wireless, Your Local Internet Service Provider Connecting Rural Minnesota